Kevin Hanley withdraws from River Forest trustee race
Kevin Hanley (third from left) announced Wednesday he was withdrawing from the Pride in River Forest slate in the April 9 election. He says he was lied to by Cathy Adduci, a candidate for village president.
Updated: April 29, 2013 10:01AM
RIVER FOREST — Village trustee candidate Kevin Hanley announced Wednesday that he has withdrawn his name from consideration in the April 9 election.
At the same time, independent trustee candidate Roma Steinke said village president candidate Mike Gibbs contacted her Wednesday night and effectively offered to endorse her. She said she declined.
The Pride in River Forest campaign released an announcement of Hanley’s decision at 9 p.m. Wednesday. In it, Hanley states he “can longer trust” Adduci.
“Last week Cathy Adduci told a lie and it almost cost me a close, personal friendship in the village,” Hanley says in the release. “It truly upset my wife and the possibility of working with Adduci and taking time away from my family and knowing I could never trust her is not right thing for the residents.”
Hanley on Thursday called the his withdrawal “not an easy decision. I felt I was letting my teammates down.”
He declined to elaborate on what the alleged lie was about, saying “it involved other relationships” that he would not bring into the controversy.
“It’s personal. I’m sorry for being vague. I don’t want to get into the details.”
Adduci said she was “shocked” by Hanley’s withdrawal and his comments, which she called “almost defamatory.”
“I’m mystified, and I am disturbed,” she said Thursday morning. “I don’t know what the lie is, I don’t know what the issues are. I have no idea of what Kevin’s talking about.”
Adduci called Wednesday night’s development “bizarre.”
“I’ve been on the (village) board six years. Even in the most tumultuous times, I’ve never seen this.”
Both Adduci and Hanley agree she called him after a March 12 email blast he authored. They disagree on everything that followed.
In that March 12 email blast, Hanley said video evidence of the dangerous nature of two intersections where red light cameras have been installed “should allow our opposition to realize that they should start focusing on issues going forward instead of looking backward.”
Adduci said she found it odd that any criticism of her on that issue would come from Hanley and not Gibbs, and that she called Hanley to ask him about it.
She said Hanley acknowledged authoring the email, but that there was nothing else of substance discussed.
Gibbs did not immediately return calls Thursday seeking comment on both the withdrawal and purported endorsement offer.
Hanley acknowledged Gibbs called Steinke, saying it was after his announcement at a meet-and-greet campaign event.
Steinke said the email announcing Hanley’s withdrawal came within minutes of Gibbs’ call to her.
“(Gibbs) told me, ‘You’re one of the trustees I’d want to work with and that I would back,’” she said.
Steinke said she told Gibbs she was not interested in being part of his slate, saying, “I’m an independent here. I’m not a part of what you’re doing.”
Steinke added, “I do think Cathy would make a better (village) president.”
Adduci suggested Hanley’s comments reflected a lack of confidence in Gibb’s chances on April 9.
“If Mike was so sure he’s going to win, this should be a moot issue,” she said.
Hanley said his withdrawal is no reflection on his confidence in Gibbs, and that he just wanted to be fair to village voters.
“I’m trying to give residents the right to vote for people who want to be elected. I’m not one of those people.”
Hanley said he contacted Village Administrator Eric Palm Thursday for guidance on how to formally withdraw his candidacy. With the January 31 deadline for formal withdrawal past, Hanley’s name will remain on the April 9 ballot, in the second position.